Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade: Emergency Survival Kit

Recently a friend of mine asked me if because I was an Eagle Scout I could survive in any situation. Although I wish it were true, it is not. The amount of experience I have and training gives me a good chance of making a survival situation easier and bettering my chances of making it home in good shape. He asked me if I had one of those really cool emergency survival kits that they advertise on websites like REI and Blue Ridge Mountain Sports. The answer is no. Why would someone go out and spend a fortune on a survival kit that you simply make at home and have it be way cheaper? Here's mine:




  • An old backpack from an army surplus store
  • A Leatherman Supertool 300
  • A Smith and Wesson Search and Rescue fixed blade knife
  • Knife sharpener
  • A large Ziploc container
  • A roll of duct tape
  • Home made first aid kit
    • Assorted Band-Aids
    • Sterile Gauze
    • Medical Tape
    • Rubbing Alcohol
    • Hydrogen Peroxide
    • Nylon rope
  • Black trash bags
  • Clear trash bags
  • A compass
  • A whistle
  • Home made fishing kit
    • Spool of line
    • Hooks
    • Sinkers
    • Some fly tackle
  • Backpacking stove + fuel
  • Mess kit
  • Matches
  • Lighter
  • Dryer lint
  • Sleeping bag
  • Chewing gum
  • Mirror






My survival kit has some stuff in it that is kind of pricy only because I have acquired over time while I was in the Boy Scouts. Most of the stuff I have was either free, from a surplus or thrift store, or I bought it at the dollar store. I also have a few things I could honestly take out but I keep them because it fits, it's light weight, and you never know what could be useful. Everything I have in my kit has more than one use. If you don't believe me, leave a comment and I'll explain.

Eventually I'll put up a picture of my kit but for the time being it's nice and packed and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, leave your questions and comments here