Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade vs. Store Bought: Survival Kit

When it comes to "survival" many people think they have to go out an buy a pre-made survival kit. This is not the case. You can walk through your house and pick up a few odds and ends you have laying around and put into a container and have it be just as good if not, better than one you would but at Cabela's or REI. 

The Challenge: 

I walked around my house picking up stuff that I could put into a survival kit. I'll admit I may be at somewhat of an advantage because I was in the Boy Scouts, a Venture Crew, and I'm outdoorsy. However, that doesn't mean you can't do same thing. Everything I have was a hand me down, bought from a garage sale, found, or given to me as a gift. 

The Loot:

This is what I found in only FIVE minutes of walking around opening doors:

A dozen or so razors
A LOT of cotton swabs





Electrical tape
Scissors
Forceps
A pocket knife/ Bottle opener combo
Pony tail holders
A few match books
A paint brush

Medical Tape (two kinds)
Floss
Pain Medicine
Bandaids 
Travel Size Gold Bond, Shampoo, and Conditioner







An analog watch

Tea light candles
A whistle
A small fishing kit
Finger nail clippers



Rope



Army canteen
Mosquito repellant for a butane candle + the butane candle+ butane
Mylar blanket
Mess kit
Metal coffee mug
Compass
Mini First Aid kit
Backpack poncho
Snowboarding mask
Several pocket knives
Water proof phone case with lanyard

More matches and Tea lights



An old army First Aid kit box



I only glanced in these drawers and took about 5 minutes to do it. I could build a quick, efficient survival kit and the best part is: I didn't spend any money. Of course someone bought this stuff but I don't have to go to the store and buy specifically for a survival kit. 

My challenge for you is to do the same. Take a few minutes to walk around your house and see what kind of a survival kit you can build

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, leave your questions and comments here