Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade vs. Store Bought: Backpacking Stove

Every serious camper, hunter, backpacker, or any outdoorsman knows what a backpacking stove is and its importance. It is definitely something you should have with you if you plan to be in the outdoors for an extended period of time. Now, this doesn't mean that you have to go out and but a seventy dollar piece of equipment. For very little money you can make your own.


I went to my recycling bin and found this metal can that is the perfect size (as opposed to a larger one that you would cut down to size). I believe this can used to contain Blue Diamond Almonds.

The Process:

Step 1: Using a thumbtack push holes all around the can. This allows heat and oxygen to pass freely but not too much heat so that it doesn't heat up. 




Step 2: You have to create an opening that you can use to monitor your fuel, adjust heat, and take the fule source out or put it in easily. In the first picture ther are two dents in the metal. This was to mark how wide I wanted my opening. 


 Here is what my opening looks like. 


 Optional: I bent back the edges so that I wouldn't cut my finger. 

 Step 3: Add a whole to the top so heat will escape and move up through the center of the can. 

 Step 4. Cut from the circle out so create a sort of cross hairs. 



This is my finished product. I put a tea light candle in it to test it. These tea lights can also be used as a heat source but they do burn quickly and dont put off a substantial amount of heat.  You would have to use a few of them.




I would suggest using Sterno. It is a gel fuel that would work nicely with your new back packing stove. 



Sterno

Homemade vs. Store Bought
This is my homemade stove next to my store bought one. It is an MSR backpacking stove and uses MSR propane fuel. It is very nice but it was a little pricy. As you can see they look very different but I assure you the homemade one works just fine. The best part is I made it for free so if it didn't work I   could throw it away OR use it for something else. 



I challenge you to make your own backpacking stove out of what you have lying around. Post your picture and process in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a tea light situation cost vs space have you come up with a heat to food ratio? Have you tested the heat nature can provide for this can method?

    ReplyDelete

Please, leave your questions and comments here